To access the data in R, type
download.file("http://www.openintro.org/stat/data/piracy.RData", destfile = "piracy.RData") load("piracy.RData")
This data set contains observations on US Senators and Representatives related to their support of anti-piracy legislation that was introduced at the end of 2011. This data set is also available as a tab-delimited text file, and it may also be found in the OIdata R package.
A data frame with 534 observations and 8 variables.
- name: Name of legislator.
- party: Party affiliation as democrat (D), Republican (R), or Independent (I).
- state: Two letter state abbreviation.
- money_pro: Amount of money in dollars contributed to the legislator's campaign in 2010 by groups generally thought to be supportive of PIPA/SOPA: movie and TV studios, record labels.
- money_con: Amount of money in dollars contributed to the legislator's campaign in 2010 by groups generally thought to be opposed to PIPA/SOPA: computer and internet companies.
- years: Number of years of service in Congress.
- stance: Degree of support for PIPA/SOPA with levels: Leaning No, No, Undecided, Unknown, Yes.
- chamber: Whether the legislator is a member of either the house or senate.